Almost Foolproof Macarons

I’ve been toying with macaron recipes for some time now. In my recipes, there always seems like there is something that can go wrong. It could be the folding, it could be the unscientific drying time, or maybe it’s just my messed up oven, but something always goes wrong. Rarely do I get a sheet pan of perfectly formed macarons…until now.

This recipe just plain works. This recipe uses Italian meringue, don’t let it scare you. This one not so hard part is the reason why they work so well. You don’t have to mess around trying to get macaronage since the meringue is very stable. One of the nicest parts of this recipe is that you can double it, split it into two parts, color/flavor each separately, and get two flavors for the work of one recipe.

Here’s the recipe with details and photos:

For the Macarons:
120g egg whites, divided
35g sugar
150g finely ground almonds
150g powdered sugar

For the sugar syrup:
150g sugar and 50g water

Process the ground almonds and powdered sugar in the work bowl of a food processor. Most recipes call for sifting, but I think this works better and gets everything combined.

In a stand mixer, whip 60g egg whites to soft peaks, add 35g sugar.

In the meantime, in a saucepan on high heat bring the water and sugar for the syrup to 230 F. on a candy thermometer.

Slowly add the boiling syrup to the egg whites and continue to whip on medium – high speed until they are completely cooled and you have a shiny meringue (10-15 minutes).

Mix the remaining 60g of egg whites and the sifted almond/sugar and carefully fold into the meringue.

folded.jpg

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip with the mixture and pipe macarons about 3 inches in diameter on silpat lined baking sheet.

pipe.jpg

Bake at 320 for 15-25 minutes.

Check to see if macarons are done by grabbing the top of one macaron and trying to shake it. They are done when the top barely slides against the skirt. If they are not done, extend baking time by two minutes intervals, checking after each extension.

macaron.jpg

That’s about all that is to it. I think I’m finally done with macarons for a while. I’m sure the next time I try to make them I will encounter problems again, but until then…

Reader Feedback

167 Responses to “Almost Foolproof Macarons”

• Anna says:

Can u double this recipe?

• Angie says:

I am disappointed because I cannot convert the measurements from grams to cups, etc.

• eater says:

Please see the “About the recipes” section here: http://www.myfoodgeek.com/about/

• Cary Lou says:

I believe the degree of shine achieved rests with how fine the almond flour is ground. I sift prior to measuring and get good results. I also let sit for 20 minutes or so, until the surface is no longer tacky. Some of these times shared will depend on humidity in your area, time of year, etc. also, someone asked about chocolate batter, just sub about 1/2 cup of almonds for cocoa powder, Dutch processed will give you a darker more robust chocolate cookie… The only time I have gotten a dry cookie that is too crunchy is when I have over beaten the egg whites. They need to be stiff, but not dry and so stiff that they will not even make a peak. I have a friend that uses a hand mixer just so she can keep a better eye on the texture of the whites. Sorry, I will stick with my Mixmaster…

• marian says:

not almost, but definitely foolproof for me! My mum have been bugging me to try this recipe after countless failed attempts. I was extremely skeptical, but finally relented and tried it..first batch, and it was perfect..well, cept for that few occasional tip that refuses to settle down and give me a smooth finish. the feet was perfect, the dome, and even the white I made didn’t turn brown much. so happy I finally gave this a go. 🙂

• fredreak says:

May i ask a question for this recipe ?

One is i use convection oven ,i try so many times but always will make my macarons top surface so dark .how can i stop this happen to my macaron ? should i use fan bake or just upper and lower heat ?

beside that ,i have do so many research for macaron recipe ,now i was wondering about the recipe of you ,i mean you show pic piping method to paper sheet ,do we need to rest our macaron for 15-30 min for get dry the macaron top shell ? or we just bake after finish pipe to sheet and just bake it ???

• erica says:

@Martha Andrews: it’s really easy if you have a digital scale that will do ounces or grams. My gran says that was the easiest thing to do when she started baking in the States.

• Martha Andrews says:

I would love an AMERICAN measurement version of this recipe!

THANK YOU!

• Nicole says:

Once I have piped mine I leave them to rest. When they are not sticky to touch I put them in the oven. Great recipe used here in Australia!

• Sadia says:

How do you make chocolate macaron.? And should it be a thermofan oven or not?

• katie says:

Geek, thank you for elevating my macarons! i’ve been struggling with the french recipes that don’t use the sugar syrup because it sounded more complicated. and the outcomes were always uncertain and fraught with macaron issues–cracked tops, no shine, no feet, too airy, etc.

but the syrup was easy breezy and two batches have both turned out equally perfect with your recipe: perfect feet on each one, lightly shiny smooth tops, and AMAZING texture that is moist yet stable and uniform.

THANK YOU for simplifying the process!

• Lisa Kingsbury says:

Hi at the step “Mix the remaining 60g of egg whites and the sifted almond/sugar and carefully fold into the meringue” can you please break this down? are the egg whites beaten prior to mixing with the almond/sugar mix? I just made some without beating the second measure of egg whites and it was a gluggy mixture, and then I just incorporated the meringue…??? Then I thought everything was going to fail so I used the beater to mix them together as I thought I’d end up with gluggy chunks in the mix. The result, they mostly looked like macarons but flat with no feet and quite chewy in the middle. Please help 🙂