Almost Foolproof Macarons

I’ve been toying with macaron recipes for some time now. In my recipes, there always seems like there is something that can go wrong. It could be the folding, it could be the unscientific drying time, or maybe it’s just my messed up oven, but something always goes wrong. Rarely do I get a sheet pan of perfectly formed macarons…until now.

This recipe just plain works. This recipe uses Italian meringue, don’t let it scare you. This one not so hard part is the reason why they work so well. You don’t have to mess around trying to get macaronage since the meringue is very stable. One of the nicest parts of this recipe is that you can double it, split it into two parts, color/flavor each separately, and get two flavors for the work of one recipe.

Here’s the recipe with details and photos:

For the Macarons:
120g egg whites, divided
35g sugar
150g finely ground almonds
150g powdered sugar

For the sugar syrup:
150g sugar and 50g water

Process the ground almonds and powdered sugar in the work bowl of a food processor. Most recipes call for sifting, but I think this works better and gets everything combined.

In a stand mixer, whip 60g egg whites to soft peaks, add 35g sugar.

In the meantime, in a saucepan on high heat bring the water and sugar for the syrup to 230 F. on a candy thermometer.

Slowly add the boiling syrup to the egg whites and continue to whip on medium – high speed until they are completely cooled and you have a shiny meringue (10-15 minutes).

Mix the remaining 60g of egg whites and the sifted almond/sugar and carefully fold into the meringue.

folded.jpg

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip with the mixture and pipe macarons about 3 inches in diameter on silpat lined baking sheet.

pipe.jpg

Bake at 320 for 15-25 minutes.

Check to see if macarons are done by grabbing the top of one macaron and trying to shake it. They are done when the top barely slides against the skirt. If they are not done, extend baking time by two minutes intervals, checking after each extension.

macaron.jpg

That’s about all that is to it. I think I’m finally done with macarons for a while. I’m sure the next time I try to make them I will encounter problems again, but until then…

Reader Feedback

168 Responses to “Almost Foolproof Macarons”

• Libby says:

Pls HELP!!!! I followed every step exactly as u said but after my macarons were baked they were not shiny and smooth, the shape was perfect but the surface was a bit dull n rough… Help!! Please tell me what iv done wrong?

• Debbie says:

I want to make Chocolate Macarons! How to make it???

• Sally says:

Just made my first batch of these and they came out pretty good! Nice ‘foot’, light and crispy, came off tray easily, tasted good. I whacked the trays on the counter-top and also left them to stand for 30 mins before cooking, which I learnt from ‘Great British Bake Off’ on BBC and I think these steps helped. I am disastrous at piping though, will have to practice that :-D I also cooked them for not enough time, I thought they were done after 8-10 mins when actually I think they did need 15 mins at least, should have followed your recipe properly! Yummy though, can’t wait to experiment with flavours and colours. Thank you very much!

• pastryprincess says:

THANKS for the foolproof recipe, I have tried 7 other recipes, including Martha Stewart’s French and Parisian. Mine came out with ABSOLUTE perfection. I was dancing around the kitchen today with delight. I am so excited to make more… ;)

• M45t3r5 says:

Amazing recipe!!! Thankyou so much for publishing in the net!!!
    Finally my macaron hell is over ;)

• newbie says:

im going to try this once ive found a kitchen thermometer :D will update soon!!

• newbie says:

plus, my oven is not fan forced. the heat is from the top and bottom. so should i lower the temperature? what should i do? please advice thanks!

• Sara Kamil says:

Hi, I haven’t tried the recipe yet but from the reviews I’m absolutely beside myself with excitement to give it a go. Unfortunately I only have a convection microwave. Can I bake my macaroons using it? so many sites have said they won’t turn out. Hope you can help, thank you in advance.

• Mrsosborne says:

Hi, i tried this recipe yesterday and for the first time they came out perfect!!!! Soooo pleased with the outcome, thank you for this recipe – I have tried so many times with other recipes and every time something went wrong.

• Jocelyn says:

hi, just wondering if this recipe requires a resting time for macarons after piping but before putting them in the oven?

• Rochelle says:

Great tips that led to my first successful batch of macaron shells. Thanks for sharing!

• Amy says:

OMG!!! I’ve died and gone to mac heaven!! I put macs in the oven 10 min ago and I see little feet!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I did when I found out I was prego with my first child!! Thank you Jesus! I’ve tried every recipe including the ones in my pastry class and all Fat Failures. Who knew I had to take a detour to Italy before going to Paris!!!!!!! The Italian meringue is genius. Thank you thank you! I have to work on my piping but they are cute as a button and close to pics ive seen. This a keeper.

• Betty says:

Thanks for this great recipe. I was successful making it! I wrote a blog post about it and provided a link back this page. :)

• Catherine says:

Please help. I just put in my first tray of macarons to bake. To my horror, it has rough skin and not shinny and no legs. Just don’ t know where or which step did I missed out. Please advise. Thank you.

• Jill says:

Catherine- perhaps you didnt blend in a food processor enough to get rid of almond chunks. sifting is key, too. calibrate your oven temp…may be too low. overmixing may be another cause for no feet.

• Mags says:

@Catherine – it could be that the mixture is too liquidy and not properly sifted.

• Taurian says:

hi, does it need to let it sit for 1 hour prior to baking just like the french version? Please advise asap, thanks!

• geek says:

Nope. No need to wait but if you want to, it won’t hurt. I always double-pan this recipe so the tops dry out before the bottoms and the feet form nicely.

• MissTat says:

Hello :)
    How many cookies do you get with this recipe? (approximately…)

Thanks ! :)

• geek says:

MissTat: It really depends on how big you want to pipe them. I generally get about 1/4 of a sheet pan on filled cookies. I’d guess 30-40 total but I don’t usually count them.

• Molly Coodle says:

Hi Geek – Your recipe has saved me from insanity! Having had countless failures I was ready to throw in the towel but at last I have had success. Thank you so much. I would know like to play around with some flavours – can I just add dry ingredients to the basic recipe (like cocoa powder, instant expresso, Earl Grey Tea, freeze dried raspberries) or would I need to reduce the amount of almonds and/or sugar? Thanks

• Lisa Kingsbury says:

Hi at the step “Mix the remaining 60g of egg whites and the sifted almond/sugar and carefully fold into the meringue” can you please break this down? are the egg whites beaten prior to mixing with the almond/sugar mix? I just made some without beating the second measure of egg whites and it was a gluggy mixture, and then I just incorporated the meringue…??? Then I thought everything was going to fail so I used the beater to mix them together as I thought I’d end up with gluggy chunks in the mix. The result, they mostly looked like macarons but flat with no feet and quite chewy in the middle. Please help :)

• katie says:

Geek, thank you for elevating my macarons! i’ve been struggling with the french recipes that don’t use the sugar syrup because it sounded more complicated. and the outcomes were always uncertain and fraught with macaron issues–cracked tops, no shine, no feet, too airy, etc.

but the syrup was easy breezy and two batches have both turned out equally perfect with your recipe: perfect feet on each one, lightly shiny smooth tops, and AMAZING texture that is moist yet stable and uniform.

THANK YOU for simplifying the process!

• Sadia says:

How do you make chocolate macaron.? And should it be a thermofan oven or not?

• Nicole says:

Once I have piped mine I leave them to rest. When they are not sticky to touch I put them in the oven. Great recipe used here in Australia!

• Martha Andrews says:

I would love an AMERICAN measurement version of this recipe!

THANK YOU!

• erica says:

@Martha Andrews: it’s really easy if you have a digital scale that will do ounces or grams. My gran says that was the easiest thing to do when she started baking in the States.

• fredreak says:

May i ask a question for this recipe ?

One is i use convection oven ,i try so many times but always will make my macarons top surface so dark .how can i stop this happen to my macaron ? should i use fan bake or just upper and lower heat ?

beside that ,i have do so many research for macaron recipe ,now i was wondering about the recipe of you ,i mean you show pic piping method to paper sheet ,do we need to rest our macaron for 15-30 min for get dry the macaron top shell ? or we just bake after finish pipe to sheet and just bake it ???

• marian says:

not almost, but definitely foolproof for me! My mum have been bugging me to try this recipe after countless failed attempts. I was extremely skeptical, but finally relented and tried it..first batch, and it was perfect..well, cept for that few occasional tip that refuses to settle down and give me a smooth finish. the feet was perfect, the dome, and even the white I made didn’t turn brown much. so happy I finally gave this a go. :)

• Cary Lou says:

I believe the degree of shine achieved rests with how fine the almond flour is ground. I sift prior to measuring and get good results. I also let sit for 20 minutes or so, until the surface is no longer tacky. Some of these times shared will depend on humidity in your area, time of year, etc. also, someone asked about chocolate batter, just sub about 1/2 cup of almonds for cocoa powder, Dutch processed will give you a darker more robust chocolate cookie… The only time I have gotten a dry cookie that is too crunchy is when I have over beaten the egg whites. They need to be stiff, but not dry and so stiff that they will not even make a peak. I have a friend that uses a hand mixer just so she can keep a better eye on the texture of the whites. Sorry, I will stick with my Mixmaster…

• Danny says:

It was hard for me to find your blog in google.
    I found it on 11 position, you should build some quality backlinks , it
    will help you to increase traffic. I know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tips
    and tricks

• far cry 4 wiki says:

Undeniably imagine that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared
    to be at the web the easiest thing to have in mind of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while other people think about issues that they just don’t realize about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the entire thing with no
    need side-effects , other folks could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

• naruto cosplay says:

If possibly you paint your head’s hair, you may obtain a cost-effective hair painting for any couple of bucks, its surely not high-priced in any way, then you may really start off searching great!

. If you ever normally have the actual hair colouring then that is a
    benefit along with a concern significantly less to worry about.
    Down the road you might aspiration to obtain the critical naruto outfit, on account of the excess your hair which it truly is bought all around the the neck and throat, you may get a
    little something sort a sibling or possibly a
    cosing or most likely some lover you realize appearances to have purchased
    a sweater or some thing corresponding to that which
    offers the specific locks aspect, than the only issue left over may
    very well be to position many orange costume have on more than this
    to make sure the hair go over the major of the orange t-shirts or garments creating it appear and also believe that this were actually a single.

• Koby says:

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing,
    i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates unique,
    google friendly posts in seconds, just search in google – laranitas free content source